A hour and half later, someone claiming to be the man himself posted a response lamenting this squid-lovin' characterisation. I replied, firmly but fairly, suggesting that he has brought this on himself, as anyone who has read City of Saints and Madmen (for example) can attest. His reply, in case you didn't follow any of the previous links, was as follows:
Ha! Yes, I did deserve it. LOL. Thought it most funny--forwarded the link to Mike Moorcock, among others.
From this, we can conclude:
- I am now a controversial celebrity of SF blogging. Therefore:
- I should probably come up with an obnoxious neologism with which to refer to myself (perhaps blogonaut?*)
- I should keep the streak alive by making fun of 'Mike' Moorcock next. If only I could think of something funny about him...*
- I'm allowed to refer to Mr. Vandermeer as 'Jeff' and (by the law of transitivity of informality) Mr. Moorcock as 'Mike'.
- He totally would use a whore-squid. So: